Upcoming event: Sixth Form Conference at Westminster Abbey – 7th February 2018
Attention all religious studies teachers and curriculum leaders!
Booking is now open for the next academic year for Sixth Formers.
LASAR are working in partnership with Westminster Abbey Education to put on this popular event for a second year running:
I’m delighted to invite you to a one day event which will transform how your students think about Big Questions. Join experts in the fields of both science and religion for a day of workshops which invite students to design and carry out experiments and produce new thinking. Last year’s event gave rise to teacher feedback such as ‘this was spot-on – great speakers, interesting content and just the right number of students. I would definitely be up for something similar in the future’ and ‘students were actively encouraged to use knowledge..and to think’.
This year’s key theme: Does and should the advance of human like machines and AI change how we understand human significance?
• Can science make better humans?
• All you need is science, or is it? Being fully human in the modern world.
• Kepler and his theological vision of astronomy.
• Beyond Descartes: future-proofing how we think about the soul.
• Spaghetti and personality.
• Can a robot be more than a robot?
Outcomes: Students will develop mind maps to be presented in the plenary and for follow up work in the classroom.
• OCR Religious Studies module on Philosophy and Religion ‘Soul, mind and body’
• AQA Religious Studies module on Ethics and Religion ‘Free will and moral responsibility’
• Edexcel Religious Studies module on Influences in Development of Religious Belief ‘Religion and science debates’
• Cambridge Pre-U Certificate in Philosophy and Theology ‘Conscience, free will and determinism’
Wednesday 7th February 2017 10.00 – 3.30
St Margaret’s Church and Abbey Precincts
£7 per student – includes guided tour of the Abbey
1 teacher free of charge per 10 students
Some financial support may be available for students in special circumstances. Please help us to be as inclusive as we can by contacting us about such students.
Find out more on our website: http://westminster-abbey.org/events/events/science-and-religion-conference-2018
Science, Religion and Big Questions
Wednesday 7th February 2018 10am – 3.30pm
Year 12 & 13 students – 10am – 3.30pm
£7 per pupil includes a guided tour of the Abbey.
Please contact Hannah to book: firstname.lastname@example.org 020 7654 4965